Chocolate Greek Shortbread
Absolutely buttery and nutty, without any refined ingredients. I have always been someone who absolutely adores traditional Greek shortbread. It is one of my favourite tea time treats, and I used to have a friend who had a yia yia that would make THE BEST Greek shortbread. This is my take, and I ofcorse decided to add some cocoa to give it a chocolate twist. It can be made with or without the cocoa, and I guarantee that these will be a hit!
- 100 g toasted almonds
- 2 cups oat flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar of choice I used xylitol, but you could use raw sugar, coconut sugar etc. +1 tbsp corn starch
- ½ cup softened buttery spread I used organic grassfed butter, but you can use a vegan buttery spread or coconut oil
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- extra sugar for dusting I used around 1/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 150°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a high speed blender, blend the granulated sugar with the corn starch extremely well until if forms an icing sugar consistency. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In the blender, place the almonds and blend well until it forms a flour like consistency.
- Combine the oat flour, blended almond flour, cocoa, salt and blended sugar mixture in a bowl.
- Mix in the buttery spread, milk and vanilla extract. I like to mix it with my hands as I find it gives the cookie a crumbly texture.
- Roll into small balls (roughly 2cm) then press down slightly with a fork or shape into crescent shapes.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 mins at 150°C until golden brown.
- Once ready and cooled, dust with additional powdered sugar (granulated sugar of choice places in blender)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!