Healthy Sugar Biscuits with Raspberry Chia Jam
Who doesn’t love jam in a cookie?As a child I would go with my mum to an Italian bakery and we would eat these delicious jam filled sugar heart biscuits with our morning coffee. I just had to recreate a healthy version, and these turned out perfectly!
FOR THE BISCUIT
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour I used GF
- 1 tsp pure Vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar OR jaggery OR xylitol
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup for those asking where to get this, I get mine from Woolworths
- 2 tbsp melted almond butter OR oil – I used avocado oil
- 7 tbsp milk of choice I used almond
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE JAM
- 350 g raspberries
- ½ cup coconut sugar OR maple syrup
- Squeeze of lemon
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch vanilla powder optional
- For the jam, add water, the raspberries, sugar and chia seeds and bring to boil.
- Allow to simmer on a low heat. Add more water as needed, but allow chia seeds to swell and for the jam to thicken, stirring when needed.
- Allow to simmer for roughly 30 mins.
- In the mean time, combine all ingredients together to make the biscuit. Mix until it forms a dough like consistency, that holds together firmly. Place the dough in between two pieces of baking paper, and roll out into a thin sheet.
- Use a cookie cutter and cut into circle cookies, and use a smaller heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out the window of roughly half the cookies.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C until the batch becomes golden. Take out and allow to cool.
- By this time your jam should be thick. Stir in a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Once cookies have cooled, place jam on top of the flats side of the cookie that doesn’t have a heart shape cut out of it. Top with a cookie that has a heart cut out of it, and allow the jam to show through the heart ❤
If you would like to use Stevia instead to sweeten, you can lower the coconut sugar to 1/4 cup and add 6 drops of Stevia instead .