Protein Chocolate Mousse
Creamy and decadent, with an intense chocolate flavour.This is one of my favourite recipes that I make every week and take in a jar to my lectures! Packed with protein and healthy fats, it is a great snack that keeps me satiated till my next meal!
- 1 cup coconut cream frozen in a glass overnight. Once water and cream has separated – use the cream part only -leaving the watery bit behind
- 2-3 tbsp honey OR pure maple syrup this can be substituted with a couple drops of stevia
- Pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp corn flour +1/2 cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup chocolate protein powder of choice+1 tsp raw cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 heaped tbsp nut butter of choice
- 1 tsp instant coffee optional
- Grated dark chocolate for topping optional
- Place the coconut cream into a a bowl and beat on high until fluffy. Beat in the honey, vanilla cinnamon and protein powder. Set aside. * You may need to add less honey if your protein powder is already sweetened. I suggest you taste the mixture and add the honey/sweetener accordingly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the corn flour in 2 tbsp cold water to form a paste. Heat the 1/2 cup milk of choice ( i used coconut) in a saucepan on the stove on medium heat .
- When milk starts to boil, turn down the heat to low and add the corn starch mixture Keep mixing it with a spoon until the corn flour dissolves completely into the milk then take it off heat, it should form a thick milk mixture. Stir in the instant coffee.
- Gently beat in the corn starch mixture, nut butter, chia seeds and pinch of salt into the coconut cream mixture combining well. You may want to also stir in some grated chocolate
- Place in an airtight container and leave it in the fridge to set overnight. This allows for the mixture to thicken and form the correct consistency